Teeth

Teeth

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Torres dia 3

The view of Glacier Grey just below the pass
Today was supposed to be very difficult with a 640m pass to surmount- Paso John Gardner.  I thought it was easy and appreciated having a lighter pack (6# lighter owing to food consumption) which was more manageable.  The 800m descent from the pass was more challenging.  It involved steep sets of 20¨stairs that were very jarring.  I also had a tailwind for the first time.  though the wind wasn´t constant, there were heavy gusts that threatened to tumble me down face first. I reached Campamento Pasos within 5 hrs and my travelling companions all arrived soon thereafter.  We cooked a hot lunch then continued for another 3 hours to Lago Grey at the advice of a guide who mentioned that they had hot showers.  The camp is on the famous ¨w¨ route so it looked like a massive beach party.  There was a two hour line for the camp showers, but I snuck into the refugio and got one right away.  It was someone´s birthday, so we celebrated with boxed wine ($4000 pesos).  Its not like this is really a wilderness experience anyways!
Palomitas (little doves) are these elegant orchids that dotted the trail.

Above Glaciar Grey on yet another misty day.  Some people thought this was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, but I guess I am spoiled by living in AK.  To me it was just another big glacier without views of the surrounding peaks.  It was awesome in its immensity, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment