Teeth

Teeth

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

El Calafate: mz return to Argentina

The strike ended, finally, yesterday and I booked the first bus out this morning. It felt so good when the aduana stamped my passport. 6 hours later, I arrived in El Calafate, Argentina at siesta hour. It seems like no matter what I do, I get hung up by siesta hour. I arrived with a laundry list of items to do in preparation for my circumnavigation of Monte Fitz Roy tomorrow: food shopping, pharmacy, bank for ARG currency, buy map, ship stuff to myself in Bariloche. Alas, most of it would have to wait until after 4:00 pm.

So, I checked into my hostel and headed for the lake to take a look around. To my surprise, I found a small bird sanctuary of sorts on a lagoon near the lake. I paid my $4.00 USD and took the walking tour. Though rather blustery, I was elated to see so many Flamingos Australes (Chilean Flamingos). It was near to watch there bright pink wings flap in awkward flight.

This hostel is large, vacuous, and soulless. It is in stark contrast to the warm "everyone is family" vibe at Erratic Rock where I weathered el paro (the strike). I find it kind of lonely in a strange way and cannot wait to get to  Los Glaciares mañana.

Having finished my errands, I decided I was overdue for a good Argentine Parilla. Sadly, it wasn't nearly as good as the ones up north.

I am now down to a backpack and daypack. And am rejoicing in my improved state of mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment