Teeth

Teeth

Friday, January 28, 2011

26 Jan: From Candelaria Mancila to Villa Ohiggins

Hielo Sur boat from Candelaria Mancila across Lago OHiggins
Firstly, I should note that I am borrowing a computer from a Slovenian guy who is staying at the hostel.  The y and z are reversed and I cant find much of the punctuation.  Bear with me.

I slogged this morning to Lago OHiggins.  I officially entered Chile at the guard post and interestingly there was no customs declaration.  i guess that they know that you will need your food and dont bother confiscating.  I waited 3 hours for the boat and borded it at 5:00 with the cyclists.  There were lots of tourists on board that had done glacier cruise.  Three hours later we pulled into port and I was able to catch a ride into town with a family visiting from Santiago which saved me bus fare and halving to walk to the hostel.

El Mosco is a really neat hostel.  Jorge, the owner, greeted me warmly.  He is a friend of a friend and is full of good travel advice.  I set up my tent out front bc it is quieter and cheaper than sleeping inside.  I was hoping to go out for dinner, but I learned that there is no ATM here and possibly no ATM that will accept my card for 500km.  I spent most of my US currency in El Chalten when the ATM therew ran out of cash.  Austerity measures are in effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment