Teeth

Teeth

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dia 28 Chiloe

I simply could not face another day of making plans and figuring stuff out, so Anya and I booked a tour for $65 to the island of Chiloe.  It was raining anyway and looking at churches in Chiloe seemed to be a good thing to do.

I was thrilled to simply be a tourist and not have to think.  I caught the little tour bus at 8:00 a.m. and we headed for the ferry.  Marcelo, our tour guide, was how shall I say it?  Flamboyant.  He was very nice, but everyone else spoke Spanish, hence most of the info was given in Spanish.  Marcelo spoke slowly so I could understand most of it.  We toured lots of old wooden churches with fascinating architecture.  We learned that they built them without nails!  Interestingly, the churches had some of the ugliest art inside.  Is it blasphemy to say the virgin Mary was sinfully ugly (and literally made of plastic)?  The beauty of the churches was not commensurate with the hideous icons inside.

We went to one feria artesenal (craft fair) very briefly.  Chiloe is known for its wool and I bought a sweater.  Why not?

The best part was the lunch conversation.  Our motley crew of 9 was very international: a couple from Andalusia, 2 men (couple?) from Brazil, a couple from Buenos Aires, 2 germans, and me. 

 We learned that building a church is similar to building a boat.  The same principles apply and a church is more or less like a boat turned upside down.  Go figure!
 The ferry ride over to Chiloe.
 A young boy entertains us with his squeeze box while we look at a church.
 Chiloe is known for its palafitos (houses on stilits).
 Some church I can´t rember the name of.  Saint somebody of somewhere.

It was a full day.  I got home and once more failed to get reservations on sky air.  Damn damn damn.  I was getting crabby and knew I needed a fix of beef and wine.  It makes everything better.  I was happy that my favorite parilla which had been closed for 3 nights was open.  However, when Anya got there before me, they said they could seat us until 10:30.  I showed up and charmed my way in with my waiter from the other night.  I passionately explained that I needed lomo vetado (sirloin steak).  I was much happier after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment