Teeth

Teeth

Sunday, January 16, 2011

16-Jan: the strike continues

The paro (strike) continues. The federal government wants to raise the price of fuel in southern chile by 20%. All roads are blocked, there are transportation strikes, and most businesses are closed.

Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales are overflowing with tourists that are trapped here. I am safe and sound in a great hostel , Erratic Rock, in Puerto Natales with a front row seat to all the excitement. I was evacuated from the national park yesterday only two hours after I completed my 7-day trek. Others have not been so lucky. Some folks waited 3 days in the park sans food others never made it in.
They have been trying to arrange transportation to evacuate all the extraneous to Punta Arenas or to Calafate, Chile. All buses have been canceled to Calafate. One flight to Punta Arenas took off, but it has been deemed unsafe for other flights and the road to the airport is blocked. There is a red cross shelter here in town that is the disorganized info nexus and provides food and lodging for stranded travelers. It was termed the 'gore tex gringo refugee camp'. I was just there and it's mayhem. I may volunteer there later. For now I am contented to hang out here and ride this out comfortably. Though there is a lot of nervous energy floating about. I will go to Calafate, but right now things are fairly backed up there with refugees.

No comments:

Post a Comment