Teeth

Teeth

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Torres del Paine Dia 1, 8-Jan

The 2 hour bus (15,000 pesos) from Puerto Natales dropped me at the park entrance where I payed the  fee ($15,000 pesos) and caught the shuttle ($2,500 pesos) to Las Torres.

I began hiking at 11:15 and inspite of the prohibitively heavy pack, I made it to the first campground within 3 hours at 13 km.  I met a guy named Ken who I hiked with.  I didn´t like the camping area which looked like an estancia/ranch and I was feeling pretty good, so I kept going to the next campground which was another 18 km away.  Over 20 miles on my first day with a 55# pack!
I reached Refugio Dickson at 8:15.  It was windy and cloudy, but it was a really scenic place.
Clouds reflected in Lago Paine along the trail.  This is one of my fav images.

Hiking towards Campamento Dickson.  Lots of Calafate bushes.  The local legend is that once you taste a Calafate berry, you will always be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment