Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sleep deprivation

I had a long day yesterday between the early start for climbing and the late flight. Because I have too much stuff with me, I paid for an airport transfer. I flew the budget Sky Airlines to Punta Arenas for $120 USd. I wasnt sure what to ecpect from a low end air carrier especially after i had such difficulty booking the flight. When I checked in, I knew I was well above the 20 kilo limit. The guy at the counter could not believe I was traveling solo with so much stuff. He kept shaking his head and laughing. I told him i was a climber and therefore my stuff is big and heavy. I don't think he wanted to deal with it bc he didn't charge me. He put me in seat 1c. First class, I asked with a wry smile? He said it's like first class because I get served dinner first and can drink as many pisci sours as I want. Really? This is a budget airline? I get dinner? Of course I had forgotten that a 9:30pm flight is smack dab in the middle of Chilean dinner hour. The flight attendant woke me up for dinner and I don't remember anything else until we landed. I groggily managed to get a cab (no small feat) and grabbed to hazy looking Brits to share it.

I was super psyched to have a room reservation at the hostel Erratic Rock where I only had to share with one other person. Every hostel has a personality of it's own. In Buenos Aires, my hostel was a youth party scene. In Pucon, trippy, hippie, dippy ambience with hot androom with thin walls. In Puerto Varas, hostel was very clean, nice, tidy, with great dining are- you could tell it was German run. The catch was that I was in a small room, I mean tiny , with four people and bunkbeds. It got rather stuffy in there. So nowI am at Erratic Rock which is situated above a bakery. My room is huge! The trade off? Only one bathroom to share with the other ten people who are staying here. I was happy to see the complimentary pair of earplugs on my night table until I learned why they are there. The walls are insanely thin here, there are creaky wood floors, and the bakery down below opens early to pound bread dough. Still the two young guys who run this place more than make up for the quirks. They have exuberant youthful energy and are really accommodating. They plied me with lots of matte this a.m. which I sorely needed.

Laundry has become a mounting problem (12 days worth) and I don't have that much with me t- to give you a clearer picture. I don't trust the laundry services with my hi tech fabrics and have been unable to find a do it yourself place. I have been using handsoap in the bathroom sink to wash some items to buy more time. When I asked the two young guys who run the hostel, Phillippe y Patricio, where I could do laundry, they said no problem, we can do it for you.  Such service! 

I read a quote by Lady Florence Dixie who opine "I suppose there may possibly be drearier places but I do not think it is probable.  I haven't yet figured out what I think yet because I haven't been outside.  But it is raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment