Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, January 20, 2011

20 Jan: El Chalten

On little sleep, owing to the extremely late entry of my roomies whom I have never met (still haven´t), I dragged myself out of bed to catch a bus to El Chalten- the entry point for Los Glaciares/ Fitz Roy.  I was alittle irritated that 1 of my roomies was coughing and hacking all night in the bunk above me.  Nothing like sharing a tiny room with complete strangers broadcasting germs.

The 3-hour ride was a mostly uninteresting drive across the pampas.  When we got close, we were granted an outstanding view of the Fitz Roy Massif.  There were clouds obscuring the summit of Fitz Roy, but that did not dimish its grandeur.  St Exupery, Poincenot, Mermoz, and Guillamet were clearly visible. "So you´re Fitz Roy?" I thought to myself.  I was glad the bus driver pulled into a mirador for photo opps.  At this point, it may be the only view I get.

View of Fitz Roy massif from highway mirador

I packed my backpack with 4-5 days of food, made a quick purchase of bread and empanadas, and hot the trail.  After about an hour, the rain started.  Yes, this is Fitz Roy!  I made it to Campamento Poincenot in 2:20 min.  I set up camp in a light drizzle asap.  By now I have it down to a science.  Set out ground tarp, put rocks in the corners to keep from blowing away, set up tent, guy and stake out tent.  Put garbage bag (for waterproofing) of food in inner lefthand corner, next garbage bag of clothes goes on left behind food.  Blow up air mattress and insert on right side, sleeping bag is last.  Change out of wet clothes and hang to dry in tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment