Teeth

Teeth

Monday, January 24, 2011

24 Jan : Bad Decisions

I woke up this a.m. to clear skies! Finally! I jumped out of bed, packed my day bag, skipped breakfast and headed for the mountains. I decided to shelve my initial plan of hiking the "Lomo Del Pliegue Tombado", an overlook, for a closer view of the mtns. I decided to try the Torres first. I really want to see Cerro Torre. I hiked as fast as I could being worried about the clouds. I made the 9.5 km in good time, but there were too many clouds to see anything. Arggg! I could catch a glimpse of the summit of FitzRoy protruding over a mtn and made a sharp right turn. I half walked/ half ran to beat the clouds to the mirador. An hour and a half and 7 km later, I saw Fitz had clouded over. Damn! I decided to retreat, but went out RioBlanco 8 km to the road where I hitched a ride on a tour bus. On the way out, I was lots of climbers heading in to take advantage of Tuesdays good forecast. The forecast would turn out to be remarkably accurate.

I was so frustrated! When I got to town, I learned that 1 ATM was not working and the other was out of cash. Evidentally, this is normal here. Funny that a tourist town that doesn't take credit cards frequently has no cash. Argghh again.

Clouds roll in again
I bought food at a tiny market that accepted Visa. Booked a bus to Lago del Desierto for the next day using my remaining US dollars. Looking out, I could see that the skies were clearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment