Teeth

Teeth

Friday, January 21, 2011

20 Jan: Fitz Roy lives up to its reputation

As a climber, Fitz Roy is the stuff dreams are made out of.  A trip to Patagonia without visiting the Torres woulod be inconceivable.  Indeed, this granite monolith rising 3441m from the edge of the south Patagonian ice cap is one of the world´s greatest mountains.  And it was first climbed by one of my mounatineering heroes- Lionel Terray.

View on the hike in before the rain started
Countless slide shows I have seen and stories I have heard recount the amount of suffering needed to scale this awesome monolith.  The climbing is high caliber, but it is the notorious bad weather that thwarts most attempts.  The gale force winds and extreme wet weather are legendary.  I have been blesses with a big serving of both (to last 3 days!). Why should I be spared the full experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment