Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, February 10, 2011

6-Feb Cerro Castillo dia 2

Hiking up over Paso Peñon

Cerro Castillo

View from Campamento Tetera, Paso Peñon is on the right

Cerro Castillo from camp

The view from bed
After a pleasant sleep under the trees, I woke up a little late. I met my fellow travelers in camp and started walking around 9:30. It was going to be a ling day with more than 800 meters of elevation gain and 15 kilometers distance. The elevation loss was significant too which is tough with a heavy pack.

I ascended Paso Peñon in good form and experienced something I hadn't felt in a long time- heat! It was hot and cloudless! I was thankful for the lingering snow in the gully near the pass on both sides because it made the going much easier. The decent was much trickier once the snow petered out because it was very steep and on unstable rock. I took a long siesta when the trail leveled out beside a creek with mtns towering overhead. From there it was another 3 hours ascent to the next camp in the heat. Everything in my world was simplified down to "one foot, other foot" as my father is apt to say. I even began counting steps to pass the time.

I arrived in camp 6:30 hours after I started walking. Only a solo Brit was there. The scenery was incredible. I was camped in a meadow right below the Cerro Castillo massif. It reminded me a lot of the North Cascades- the u-shaped glacier valley, the vegetation, the mountain cascades. I had to squelch the urge to go climb it.

No comments:

Post a Comment