Teeth

Teeth

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

31-Jan Hike to Salton y Corte

I had heard that this was a interesting hike where the trail was cut into the rock and, in places, a tunnel.  Supposedly, they are trying to make this a national monument to prevent a dam from going in on the Rio Baker.  I was hoping to do this trip as a traverse, but the owner of the estancia did not recommend it as the trail is confusing and, in places, dangerous.  Indeed, I had a little difficulty reaching the area that was cut into the rocks.  I could see it, but could not find a weakness in the terrain to safely negotiate my way to it.  I made several steep creek crossings and fought my way through brush before descretion became the better part of valor.

Rio Baker and Corte

Historic pathway to Caleta Tortel; access cut into the rock
After my 20 km sojourn, I enjoyed a hot shower, a mediocre hot meal of pasta and salami, and a relaxing evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment