Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, February 10, 2011

7-Feb Cerro Castillo dia 3

I woke up early today to beat the heat.  Most of my hike was above tree line.  The hike started out above a beautiful blue alpine lake, gained 400 meters, than traversed a flat gap and dopped steeply down on the otherside.  Heeding the advice of Brian H May, the lone Brit in camp (no relation to Brian May, guitarist for Queen), I took the high traverse across the scree fields rather than losing then gaining  a lot of elevation on the normal route.  Unfortunately, I missed a cairn and dropped too far down below the route.  This forced me to cross some scary gullies and do some heinous bushwhacking.  It was hot and I was crabby and sketched out a little.  While bushwhacking, the nozzle of my camel back got torn off and I rapidly lost my water supply.  I was hot, off course, and limited water.  I sat and regrouped.  I knew the trail had to be above me, so I just went up and kept going up until I found a cairn.  I was so happy to see cairns, that I dutifully added rocks to each one for good measure.

The next unfortunate incidence happened once I joined the normal route near Camapemento Neozealandes ( named for the New Zealander first ascencionists of many peaks in the area).  I made a right and headed up valley when camp was less than 5 minutes to the left.  Damn!  I went another good hour and was near the high mirador before turning back and descending.  Oops!

Cerro Castillo in early morning light

Laguna something below Cerro Castillo

Cerro Castillo

Shameless self portrait

View from the gap of valle de Rio Ibañez and surrounding peaks

View near Campamento Neozealandes
When I set camp around 1730, I was the only one there.  I decided that a god wash was in order and enjoyed an hour of fly-be-free (translation= naked) time in the meadow near the river.  It felt good to clean up after sweating so much.  I finished just in time... as others approached camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment