Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, February 10, 2011

8-Feb Cerro Castillo dia 4

View of Rio Ibañez on the way down

View of the Cerros from estancias below the park

Black necked ibis and other birds chilling out in the rich grasses of the river valley
I set the alarm for 500 to get an early start and beat the heat for the 4 hour walk out.  I descended 800 meters rapidly and hiked along a 4wd track through estancias for another 10 km.  I got part way down and it dawned on me that I hadnt seen my pack towel in the morning.  You know how some times you just know that something is missing?  I had packed in darkness and had used my headlamp to do the obligatory idiot check.  I should have turned back because it will take me longer to find another pack towel than it would have to walk the hour or hour and a half RT back to find it.  I am not usually forgetful, so this irritated me.

Attrition list for the 4-day trek: backpack belt buckle, pack towel, dental crown.  At least everything is replaceable.

When I reached Villa cerro Castillo, I picked up my small pack at the hostel and was hoping to take a shower, but they were working on the water lines in the village.  I was granted a sponge bath which was better than nothing.

Afterwards, I quickly hailed a ride from a german couple to Coyhaique.  It was the hottest day of the year around 30 deg (88 F).  It was sweltering in the heat as I roamed the first city I have been in in 20 days or so looking for a hostel with a heavy pack on my back and another papoose style on my front.  I had an agenda- internet, buy bus ticket to Futaleufu, laundry, pharmacy, replace broken camelback nozzle (if possible), etc.  I wandered past a hair salon and decided to go in.  It felt so good to have my hair washed.  The woman washed it 3 times bc it was so dirty.  She cut and styled my hair.  Recall that I havent had a hairbrush since I shipped mine to Bariloche 20 days ago.  What better way to pass the heat of the day than with a little pampering?

The errands took a lot of time and I was too tired to find an internet cafe to update the blog.  I ate a mediocre dinner, but at least it had vegetables! I slept blissfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment