Teeth

Teeth

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

16-Feb Catedral to Refugio Frey


Refugio Frey, you can see my tiny yellow tent perched up in the rocks (photo by Alexis)
 I awoke early to finish packing and some last minute errands.  I met Alexis on the 1:15 bus to Catedral.  Since I hadn´t had lunch, I ate a quick snack of jamon y queso empanadas fritos.  Bad idea; it haunted me for the remainder of the 3.5 hour, 10 km, 700m hike up to the refugio in the heat.  I was crampy and naseous.  It was so hard plodding along uphill and sweating bullets.  Fortunately, I quickly recovered once I reached my destination amid the agujas (rock spires) that grace the lake the regugio is situated on.  The coller temps and stiff breeze further aided my recuperation. 

I set up my tent above the refugio in a reasonably flat and quiet spot ringed by walls of tiny rocks left by my predecessors to give protection from the intense wind.  I signed up for dinner in the refugio ($50 ARG, $12.50 USD) and enjoyed a dinner of croquettes and mixed green salad in a fried cheese cup.  In actuality, it was one of the better meals I have had in Patagonia. 


Amid quila (bamboo) and flowers forcing a smile on the way up to Refugio Frey

View from Refugio Frey with overcast skies and drizzle

No comments:

Post a Comment