Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dia 25 Puerto Varas

I got an early start today. I lugged all my crap across town to the bus station to catch an 8:00 am bus. Thankfully, Anya came with, so she could watch my stuff while I was able to procure instant coffee and a sopapilla from a local stand for the 5 hour trip.

I arrived in Puerto Varas at 2:00 under partly cloudy conditions, but could still see the tops of the 2 Volcanos, Osorno and Across Lago Llanquihue which the town is situated on. The new hostel, called Casa Azul, is German run. The rooms are nicer and more quiet than Ecole, but I am sharing with 3 others. People seem very friendly, in my age bracket, but none seem that adventurous.

After getting settled in, i walked into town to get my bearings and find out info about climbing Osorno. I got lucky again. There were two gringos sitting outside of the tour company who worked there and we chatted for a while. They suggested a guide who did contract work for them but who is starting his own company and is guiding under the table. Victor showed up and was psyched to have someone to climb with. He's still new to the area. We agreed to climb Osorno possibly on Sunday and potentially some other routes. He lent me a bike and we did a two hour tour of the area around Puerto Varas. It was really neat and I got a lesson in local culture, flora, and fauna. We even saw some parrots flying about.  La palabra del dia es amigable and amintoso = friendly.

There is a nice kitchen and dining area here at the hostel and most people seem inspired to eat in.  Not me!  I went out to a late dinner because I didn´t get back from my ride until after 9:00.  Note that this was not a late dinner by Chilean standards.  For the first time since Buenos Aires, I wfound myself dining alone in a Parilla.  It was actually quite nice and the sirloin steak was pure heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment