Teeth

Teeth

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dia 11 Frey

This has been my best day so far!  I had my 3rd and final Spanish class with Annie.  The classes have helped a ton and I feel like I can communicate much better and faster already!  So here is a shameless plug for their school- Spanish Immersion Patagonia.  If you ever find yourself in Bariloche, look them up!  Plus they are super nice.  Carina was kind enough to call the bus station to help me purchase bus tickets to San Martin and Pucon.

After class, I changed, packed a sandwich and some gorp, and caught the bus to Catedral.  From Catedral, I hiked up to El Refugio Frey.  I put in at 2:00 and was worried that I would not make it up and back the 10.5 km and 700m by nightfall. To my surprise I made it up in 2:45 (no stopping), back in 2:00 hrs.  I orginally wanted to take the teleferico up and traverse the ridge down to Frey, but decided to take the hike instead because of lingering late season snow and lots of wind plus the fact that I am solo.



The hike was really beautiful and the area around the refugio is absolutely stunning.  I hardly saw anyone on the trail and was surprised to see 12-15 people inside the refugio.  The people were super cool- finally I encountered my kind of people! I wished I had brought stuff to spend the night.  For my Alaska friends, this is when I started to think about the "bife de chorizo" in my favorite Parilla (the Bear Tooth of Bariloche), and started to haul ass down.  Lucky for me, I made the hourly bus with 30 sec to spare!

No comments:

Post a Comment