Teeth

Teeth

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dia 1: Buenos Aires



After a sleepless redeye owing to turbulence and screaming babies, I arrived in Buenos Aires. My cab driver practiced Spanish with me politely and patiently during the 45 minute drive to the hostel. Háče mucho calor aqui! Even with a brief stop in south Florida to acclimatize, I had difficulty tolerating the heat. I spent most of the day in a sleep-deprived, foreign city induced state of confusion. Nonetheless, I managed to see some of the sites.

The Recoleta cemetery was amazing (first attempt as using a superlative)and much much more than I expected. There was a Menora (see pic) in the plaza erected by Jabad (note the spelling). I walked the 16 blocks back there at dusk to see if they would have a candle lighting ceremony, but I thing the lights are on a timer. The plaza itself was welcome respite from the bustle of the city and I enjoyed it both times.

In the early afternoon I attempted the subway. It costs 1,10 pesos or about 0.35 cents. I somehow ended up in the business district during rush hour and enjoyed watching lots of people in suits scurrying. In my wanderings I somehow ended up on calle Florida which is extremely touristy and very busy pedestrian access street with lots of street vendors selling scarves, sandals, belts and other assorted things. I now know where I will be buying presents on my return voyage.

I had a great dinner at Cumana which was recommended by SaraEllen and Lonely Planet. For apps, dinner, and wine it cost about $15. Maybe I should move here so I never have to cook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment