Teeth

Teeth

Friday, March 4, 2011

Back to Puerto Varas

The hike out was MUDDY!  The rain and 50 horses to efficiently mix the water and mud yielded a brown bisque chuck full of rocks and roots to negotiate.  Despite the slime, I managed to keep my feet dry. 

on the bus ride into town, the driver kept grazing the bushes and trees on the right side of the road.  I was covered in twigs and leaves!  To keep distracted on the hot bus while slightly camoflaged, I taught Alexis how to play games on my iPhone.  I taught him Angry Birds or Pajaros Enojados.  I could hear him curse in Catalan every time he missed killing a pig with the sling shot.  As my cousin Fred has said, just mata los cerdos!

After 3.5 hours of hiking, a taxi to cochamó, 3 hours waiting for a bus, and a 2 hour bus ride, I reached the hostel in Puerto Varas.  I showered and went to a restaurant that a tour guide recommended.

The restaurant, called El Patio de Mi Casa, was phenomenal.  I was so happy!  Anyone who knows me well knows that tere are few things in life that make me as happy as a full plate of good food.  I had a real salad with beef, avocado, cauliflower, broccoli, tomato, lettuce, and cucmber.  For an entree, I enjoyed congrio (conger eel) cooked to perfection over a risotto with shrimp sauce.  the restaurant was inexpensive, 100% local, and had lots of personality.  I thought about staying in Puerto Varas an extra day just to eat there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment