Teeth

Teeth

Monday, March 28, 2011

28-Mar Cusco first impressions

My day started off rough.  I was deposited in Cusco at 6:30 am and took a taxi to my hostal.  I was wweary from travelling and was not at all impressed with the service at the hostal, in fact, they were rude.  So I asked them to call a taxi and I went to a slightly more upscale hostal that had excellent reviews.  For $25 USD a night (expensive) I had the nicest room, the nicest views, the biggest windows, and the best shower.  It felt like being pampered.

Fountain in Plaza de Armas

Iglesia in Plaza de Armas
After an hour nap and full appreciation of the incredible shower pressure, I set about finding the office of South American Explorers (SAE), essentially a hiking club with lots of unbiased info, maps, books, and clubroom facilities.  I joined their club and will move into one of their apartments tomorrow.  I ate lunch at a place recommended by Celine at SAE called 7 Soles.  I ordered the beef and thought it was a mistake when they brought me out a huge bowl of soup then a side dish of potatoes.  These were appetizers.  I got my main beef dish with rice and veg, fruit dessert and juice for 7 soles (2.50 USD).  I dined with another guy who has been staying at SAE and he showed me the sights in Cusco for the rest of the afternoon.  It was mighty nice not having to think for a little while.

I went back to SAE to ask more questions and look at the maps.  They are a nice bunch of people and I ended up having dinner and drinks with their circle of ex pat friends.  I felt much more at ease than in Arequipa where I didn´t meet anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment