Teeth

Teeth

Monday, March 28, 2011

27-Mar Final day in Arequipa

I woke up groggy after a 12 hour nap and never really quite got up on step.  I began packing my stuff and cleaning gear.  I took a break at 9:00 a.m. to go back to the plaza to see the desamiento de la bandera ceremony (raising of the flag).  Afterwards, I put my luggage in storage and checked out of the hotel.

My mission for the day was to hit some of the museums.  I started with the Monasterio of Santa Catalina.  It is a full city block and is composed of catacombs, courtyards, and religious art.  Being tired, I didn´t have a high tolerance for observing and learning about the religious history of the convent.  So, I went to lunch.  Afterwards, I decided to go to the museum of Juanita, the Ice Princess.  It sounded kind of cool and really it was.  Since it was 2:35 and the museum was closing at 3:00, I was the only person there and got a private showing of the movie and a private tour of the museum.  It was the story of how mummified (frozen) children sacrifices were found in some high volcanoes.  The museum featured all of the artwork buried with the sacrificial children; most was ornate and in tact.  The crowning piece in the museum was a frozen ice princess on display.

A sample of the religious art at the monastery

Sitting in a courtyard in the monastery

I could not resist snapping a photo of yellow santa
I spent the remainder of the afternoon reserving an appropriate hostal for Cusco, beacuse I was taking the red eye bus there and it is much easier to have a place to go to.  I got on the bus at 8:00 pm, which was comfy and safe.  However, the warm temps inside the bus combined with windy, rough roads prevented me from sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment