Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, March 24, 2011

23-March Cañon de Colca to Arequipa

Today was a little bit easier for me.  The guide let me ascend the cañon at my pace.  I was able to hike up 990m in under 2 hours.  I passed everyone I saw on the trail.  It felt so good to move even though my intestines were non cooperative.  Once on the cañon rim, I walked to the pueblo Cabana Conde to wait for my group to arrive for over an hour.
One of the few condors I saw was this statue in the plaza in CabanaConde
 From Cabana Conde, we drove back towards Chivay stopping at a mirador to admire the Andean terraces.  They were stunning.  It is what i picture when I think of Peru and I was completely enraptured for the 10 minutes we were permitted there to snap photos.

Beautiful Incan terraces
 We stopped in 3 more places on the way back:  Chivay for hot springs and lunch, the town of Maca, and a Llama reserve.
Inca woman in the publo of Maca.  She earns money by modelling!  She sells photo opportunities to tourists for 1 sole (.33 cents) with her llamas and Andean Eagle.

Llamas at a reserve at 4900 meters
We arrived in Arequipa at 5:30.  I settled in, checked email, and did a little shopping.  I met Alejandro for dinner at ZigZag a restaurant known for its meat platter.  After 3 days on a vegetarian tour, I was starving for protein.  He was kind enough to walk me back to my hostel and chided me for staying in a place on a side street.  Tomorrow I look for a different hostel.  Too bad because the owners are so nice and have been so kind to me.  It is a delicate balance finding a place that is central enough to be safe, but not too central to be loud during the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment