Teeth

Teeth

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

15-Mar pm Laguna Cejar

After a siesta that consisted of a 1.5 hour deep sleep, we roused ourselves for the next tour.  It was hot and I was groggy.  I actually consumed a coke (a rarity for me) to wake myself back up.  I have never been a good napper.  This 2nd tour was to several lakes in the Laguna Cejar complex that were incredibly scenic.
Laguna Cejar

The first series of lakes, called Ojos del Salar, were extremely salty.  I immediately jumped in the cool, refreshing water to escape the intense heat of the sun.  It was a little less comfortable getting out because I didnt want to use my towel and get it salty.  I toughed it out in the dry wind and was rewarded with salt crystals down my entire body.


Floating in the salty lake

Way cool!  White lizard near the salt lakes


The 20 minute ride to the freshwater lake felt like eternity as my salt-laden skin chafed on the van seats on the bumpy road.  The temperatures had dropped significantly by the time we reached the freshwater lake, but I felt obliged to jump in to cleanse the nasty feel of dried slat on my skin. 
A small freshwater lake to rinse salt off in

Lastly, we went to Salar de Tebinquinche to watch the sunset.  It was stunning.  Volcan Licancabur (5916 m) is the prominent cone shaped volcano featured in the pics.  The salt flat looked like snow.




If I can´t climb mountains, I need to find something else to do

Tall shadows on the salar


We returned home to a fiesta at Casa de Los Musicos because it was Miguel´s 72 birthday.  We were treated to a night of live music and I tried my first Piscola (pisco sour).

No comments:

Post a Comment