Teeth

Teeth

Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9: Colonia, Uruguay

As Americans most of us don´t know much about Uruguay.  The name Uruguay may conjure up images of good beef, but really little else.  Even my mother assertively asked me why I would want to go.  Well, Uruguay is a well kept secret.  In South America, it is well known for it´s splendid beaches some of which are very exclusive and also for it´s charming colonial towns.  Indeed Uruguay is now one of the more progressive SA countries having recently legalized abortion and same sex unions. 

I woke up disoriented to the sound of my alarm after 10 minutes of buzzing- my mpoor roomates!  I walked to the subte and was completely unprepared for how busy it was during morning rush hour.  I had pictured a standing room only on the subway, but never expected the up close and personal, jammed packed like sardines experience I had.  The subway arrived full and passengers crammed their way in.  There wasn´t really room for me, but I called out that I had a boat to catch and people helped squeeze me in.  It did not help that I had a tote bag (aguayo) and a day pack.  Even worse, I had slung the mid-sized duffel bag over my shoulder and with so many people, the bag was getting pushed downward pulling on my neck.  The doors closed and part of my bag was caught in them, so electronically, the doors re-opened and I tried harder to get it inside.  At the first stop, someone had to get off, since I was closest to the door, I had to debark and fight my way back on.  At the 2nd stop, I was able to move more towards the middle.  I had no bar to hold onto, but it didnt matter because the subway was so packed I couldnt fall if even if I tried.

I reached the port and was surprised to find a very fancy, modern ferry terminal.  I was expecting something dingy.  The ferry itself was also very nice.  The 3 hour ride across the Río Plata was pleasant and passed quickly.  I arrived in Colonia de Sacramento on another perfect fall day.  Colonia is situated a mere 50km from Buenos Aires and therefore attracts many Argentine tourists.  It was first established as a portugeuse port to smuggle goods into BA.
Leaving Buenos Aires


Colonia
I quickly ditched my bags at the hostel (Sur Hostel).  The owner asked where I was from.  Good question since I am homeless and jobless.  My licence still says Alaska and that is still my address and area code.  Upon hearing Alaska, he ran over to the map on the wall excitedly noted that I was the first visitor from AK.  He handed me a box of push pins and I stuck a blue one in the dot marked Anchorage.

Dogwoods and palm trees


I strolled through the tree-lined cobble stone streets of viejo Colonia appreciating the fall colors.  I walked along the water past the lighthouse, then set about finding a place to have lunch.  I passed over the Lonely Planet öur pick¨ which has doubled in price since the printing of my book 8 months ago, charging more than $12 USD for a ham and cheese sandwich.  Instead, I selected a inobtrusive eatery with outdoor seating.  I ate my first chivita and since my meal came with helado, I also sampled my first Uruguayan ice cream which puts Ben and Jerry´s to shame.

I walked up and down the streets and wandered into a clothing store.  I must have racked up some shopping karma after not having bought anything for 5 months, because I found a great dress for Friday night before the wedding.  I only went into one store and only tried on one dress.  How cool is that?  And it is a Uruguayan brand, so I need not worry about someone lese wearing the same.

There were only 5 of us staying at the hostel, so I got the dorm to myself.  They hosted an asado (asado is my favorite word here).  In typical Uruguayan fashion dinner was erved at 10:30, but the meat sure was tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment