Teeth

Teeth

Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 15 Buenos Aires

I went to the San Telmo street fair to buy gifts and again to the Recoleta street fair for even more gifts.  I'm over shopping!  The narrow cobblestone streets of San Telmo were overflowing with people and I couldn't wait to get out.  My sole purpose for being there was to buy a dress bag from an artist called Dos Manos.  I wove my way through the people, picked out a purse, and fought my way back to the Subte station.

performance art at the San Telmo street fair
The Subte station is in Plaza de Mayo which hosts all the government buildings and consequently many demonstrations.
Plaza de Mayo

Plaza de Mayo
The plaza in Recoleta is spacious and therefore felt a lot calmer than San Telmo.  I paused to watch tango dancers perform under the large tree.

Tango in the park
 I capped the afternoon off with another visit to the cemetary late in the day. 

Another visit to the cemetary


The cemetary has a distinctive Logan's Run feel to it as it is over run with cats
For my last dinner in Argentina, I wanted to go to the best parrilla in the city.  Unfortunately, it was listed by the Lonely Planet guide as a best pick, unbeknownst to me, so the line outside was over an hour.  I was accompanied by one of my roommates, Marcelo, from Santiago who was in town visiting his children.  After eating alone for a week, I was happy for the company and even more happy when we encountered an hour wait for a restaurant.  After a lap around Palermo Soho looking for another suitable parrilla, we retreated to our neighborhood and went to a traditional parrilla for a 10:30 dinner accompanied by a bottle of Malbec, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment