Teeth

Teeth

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Apr 29 Tupiza

Tupiza resembles the American Wild West.  It set amid a stunning backdrop of rainbow colored rocks, hills, mountains, and canyons of the Cordillera de Chichas at 2950m.  It was an apt setting for the demise of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid.  The Lonely Planet guide says ¨if ever there´s a place where you want to throw your leg over a horse, brandish spurs and say, ¨ride ém cowboy¨, this is it.  I must admit that horse back riding was tempting and inexpensive, but I still have vivid memories of my last horseback riding endeavor in Petrolia which involved the horse getting into a yellow jacket´s nest.

Instead, I spent a leisurely morning eating a stellar breakfast (included), catching up on news, planning travel logistics and dropping off laundry which is way cheaper in Bolivia.  I got a trail map from a tour agency and went out to hike through some of the canyons.  I never did find the right trail, but rather a maze of 4wd tracks and dry river beds.  I didn´t care much because the scenery was amazing, slightly remeniscent of Sedona without the glitz and the pricetag, and I was completely alone.  I carefully marked my way at every junction and looked back frequently to ID landmarks so as not to get lost.




I returned to town and hung out by the pool in the hostel reading the LP guide.  I tried to go out for another walk late in the day, but the wind was too strong blowing dust in my eyes.

I tried updating my blog but the internet was way too slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment