Teeth

Teeth

Friday, April 1, 2011

Apr 1 Ollantaytambo

I just arrived in Aguas Calientes, the tiny tourist town below Machu Picchu . It's an odd place crammed in laterally between mtns and class V river. I can't really evaluate it because I arrived after dark and half the power is out. 

It was an interesting journey getting here. I took a collectivo to Ollyantaytambo, checked out the ruins, and caught the train from there.  Colectivo is not my fav mode of transport. They are like cabs but have fixed destinations and charge a flat rate. They leave from a set point once the car is full (random people). Since price is fixed and they make more money for doing more trips, they drive at lightening speed. You have to hold on to the seats in front around the hairpins to keep from tipping over on the other people. The roads are windy, exposed (think cliffs), and often bumpy.  No car in front remains there long; they pass around curves too.  It's not for the light of stomach. I pre medicated with sedatives and could barely tolerate.  The alternative is the bus which takes 3 times as long. 

The ruins at Ollantaytambo were beautiful. I decided to pay a guide so I could learn something. He showed me how everything was constructed. He also pointed put that the entire settlement was built in the shape of a llama (see below) and only on winter solstice the sun enters the eyes of the llama. Cool. 

The train ride went thru some stunning landscapes along a raging river.  I was saddened by the powerlines marring the view and the subsequent hydroelectric facility. 

Archaelogist I met on the trail; for some reason, everyone wants to take there picture with me.

Site is in the shape of a llama

Llama image for comparison

Stone work is very precise; this is a door for nobility only

Look closely and you can see the granaries for storing food on the opposing peak
I am the only one at my hostel which is a little strange. I paid a tour company a pittance to organize my logistics and saved some $$$.  My guia for tomorrow cost $7.50 USD for the day. The hostel is above a restaurant, but is quiet and clean. 

I went to Indo Feliz, a restaurant recommended by an amigo in Cusco.  Both service and food were excellent.  It was a little pricey by Peruano standards, but for the US it was good value.  I had chicken and mango which came with a hot apple compote in a carved ut passion fruit, a side dish of veg including stuffed tomato with herbs and garlic, asparagus, and potatoes, there was yet another side dish of rice with a tomato salsa, and a plate of homemade garlic and herb potato chips warm from the oven.  With two glasses of red wine (Chileno) and my 10% SAE discount, the dinner cost S51 or $18 USD.  I will go back tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment