Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 27: Packrafting with spider lilies

I had all these grandiose plans for my stay and mom and dad's.  I thought I would get a ton of exercise, rebuild my upper body strength which is sadly lacking after 5.5 months in South America, and explore the area.  What I didn't count on was a heat wave!  I am unused to heat and it makes me whiny and sluggish.  This is especially true of humid heat.  I found that if I was not out of the house by 8:00 a.m., it was hard to get exercise outdoors.  To go to the gym in this community (it is a gated active living retirement community with clubhouse), I have to be accompanied by one of my parents- like a small child.

Rat snake

At over 6 feet long, a healthy specimen
One afternoon, we took a break and went to Langford Canal State Park.  The Catawba River runs right through the park and hosts a rare and endangered spider lily.   The spider lily blooms for 3 weeks per year amongst rocky shoals in the middle of the river.  So, I decided to bring my packraft for better viewing.  I found a good put in a few 100 yards down the trail right after I crossed paths with an extremely healthy looking rat snake.

Trying to remember how to paddle a packraft

An unhappy face after mom made me back paddle a 3rd time so she could get a picture of me with spider lilies

It was so cool to be back in my boat as I wove my way through the rock gardens.  The spider lilies were lovely and I caught up with my parents at the viewing platform as my mom was busily snapping photos. 


Dad posing at the viewing platform
On the hike back, we saw a pair of eaglets chirping away in an aerie.  However, we spent too much time and got caught by a late afternoon soaker complete with thunder and lightening- the things I miss by living on the west coast.  I could barely see the road as I slowly navigated us back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment