Teeth

Teeth

Thursday, June 9, 2011

May 30- June 1: Saluda and Asheville

I shoved off for Asheville loaded with wedding crap on Monday afternoon.  I spent my first night outside the city with a dear old friend, Martin Anderson.  Martin is a friend from Univ of Oregon and years later, we were both living in Arcata, CA before he moved to Asheville, NC and I relocated to Portland and then Alaska.

It was great to reconnect and even better to have a break from family and wedding planning.  Martin lives in a cute little town called Saluda tucked in the Appalachian foothills.  We had an enjoyable dinner at the Purple Onion (if you ever find yourself in Saluda, I highly recommend it!) followed by an evening stroll.  It was so great!

The next morning, Martin fixed me the best cup of coffee I have had since I left the west coast.  I savored every last drop before driving the 35 miles into Asheville.  Martin does the morning radio show on WNCW public radio, and it was fun to hear his voice while driving down the road.  I stopped in REI to get a spare bolt casing for my yakima rack and quizzed the staff on things to do in the area.  I told them I was equipped with rock shoes, a packraft, and hiking stuff.  They said that it was too hot and too buggy to climb plus there was a ton of poison ivy.  But they did give me good tips on places to hike and boat.

I made my way over to the chaos of Brett and Val's rental house.  We had breakfast downtown with Val's mom and neice and Morgan the dog (my nephew).  It was insanely hot. 

I tried to follow the advice of the REI staff which was go to elevation or go be by water to escape the heat.  However, I got lost.  Asheville area roads are extremely confusing.  I normally fair okay on a cartesian plane, but they have highways that are 240W and 26E at the same time.  How can a highway be west and east at the same time?  I ended up in the Pisgah area of some national forest and stopped by a ranger station to get hiking suggestions.  I ended up doing a pore-cleanisng hike up Looking Glass peak (3.1 miles and 1500').  Thankfully it was short because I was questioning my judgement hiking in 90+ degree heat.  On the way back, I saw a bunch of cars parked and decided to investigate whether there was a suitable swimming hole.  There was and it was great.  I swam with the locals.  They asked where I was from and when I replied AK, they said that there is never anyone non-local there, but yesterday there was a guy from Anchorage.  Wonder if I know him?
Summit views from Looking Glass "mountain"


soaked in perspiration


pretty azalea like flowers

That evening we had dinner with Aunt Ilene and her family at Salsa, my fav restaurant thus far.  I cannot remember the last time I saw my cousins Erika and Janah, but it was great to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment