Teeth

Teeth

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 7-10: Mount Ranier National Park

I felt this strong desire to escape the city.  Couch surfing on the road is just grand, but while on a long term stay it loses it's charm.  Like the old saying goes: after 3 days, guests are like dead fish, they both start to smell.  Trying to avoid this, and feeling the need to roam, I drove first to Seattle to exchange a few things at my storage unit and next to Mt Ranier National Park (MoRa in Park Service speak).

While tanking up at a gas station in Portland, I learned from the attendant that the tags on my car had expired on June 30.  Shit!  Damn!  I fretted over this the entire way to Seattle.  I don't even have an address!  From the coffee shop next to my storage unit, I did web research on the Alaska DMV.  They don't even have a phone number, just e-inquiries.  Thankful, someone responded within 30 minutes, for I did not want to go away for the weekend without having this resolved.  $177 dollars later and the new tags were being shipped to a friend's house in Portland.  BIG relief!  I don't usually screw stuff like this up, but since the post office will not forward DMV info, it is easy to see why I had forgotten.  Now I will be an Alaskan living abroad for the next 2 years.  The downsides I foresee are not be able to vote locally or procure a library card plus a constant threat of jury duty in Alaska.
The view on the drive in of Mt Ranier

With the ugly business squared away, I headed for the Park.  I reached Cougar Flat campground at dusk, quickly set up camp, cooked a dinner of wheat free pasta, chicken sausage, spinach, and parmesan cheese and relaxed with some wine.  I slept exceptionally well in the cool weather.  I had arrived in the Park with some lofty goals of climbing in the Tatoosh Range solo, but the amount of snow thwarted the possibilities.  I was told by the rangers that certain peaks would be real route finders owing to the snow.  Since I didn't have a map and no one really knew where I was, I decided to stick to moderate objectives.  After gathering info, I did a recon of Castle and Pinnacle peaks.  There was snow right out of the parking lot!  I soon donned crampons and ice axe and trudged up to the saddle in incoming weather.  Again, no one knew where I was, so I thought better of pressing on in what could soon be white out conditions.  I returned to camp and went on another hike up to some falls along the Wonderland Trail.  This was snow free being at lower elevation.  I ran into some old friends who were doing a Mazama climb on Saturday.  So, that evening, I ate dinner in their company and also met some newer generation Mazamas who were also doing that climb.
Handsome grey fox along the side of the road
On Saturday, I decided to get some exercise and hiked up to Camp Muir from Paradise.  Paradise was covered in snow- no flowers in July!  The hike is about 5000' feet of elevation gain.  It was still the slog I remembered but it much easier without a 50+ pound backpack.  I longed to climb the peak and had even briefly entertained a solo venture but it seemed like too much effort to be bothered for a wimpy route.  I plodded up to Camp Muir in 3.5 hours.  Not a record breaking time, but respectable.  I moved at a continuous pace pausing only to watch skiiers come down the glacier with envy.  Why hadn't I taken my skis out of the storage unit?  The direct sun on the snow felt like being in an oven.  I was thankful that I brought my white button down "glacier" shirt to shade me.  After a few minutes at Muir I bombed down the mountain in 1.5 hours (good speed!) without ever glissading.

There was a potluck in the campground hosted by the Mazama group.  What great contributions there were!  I cobbled together some chips, mini carrots, and tofu pate, but others had made Morrocan stew, 3 different quinoa salads, desserts and more.  How great is that!
View on the way to the Camp Muir

The next day, I went with a subset of the Mazama group to climb Castle Peak.  I led the charge up the approach to the saddle of the mountain having just pioneered a route through the snow days before.  We walked at a casual speed, no one was in a hurry, though we needed to be back in the parking lot by 2:30 and we hadn't began until 9:30 or 10:00.  We made our way over the saddle then upward on a snow finger on the back side.  We scrambled up some rocks on the ridge to appreciate the view while 2 of the guys found the remaining rock pitch to the summit.  All 7 people roped up and climbed to the top then rapped off.  Car to car in 4.5 hours.  Super fun and great to catch up with old friends M&M (one of my climbing instructors when I was a beginner) and Griff as well as meet new folks.
With M&M- my original climbing mentor


Ranier under partly cloudy skies

No comments:

Post a Comment